Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Now I have now been on Danish soil in six months


Now I have now been on Danish soil in six months' time, so it's time for rapid slightly. And it IS about time, because it's almost time to turn a new page in my life as a biologist. Or actually it's population of california really an old hand, the news value in that I need to Colorado, is getting a little worn. It is, after all, sixth-seventh time I have to go ... but this trip offers a lot of new elements, both those that I have planned, and so no doubt all of them I had not anticipated population of california (and which would materially greater entertainment value ... as usual): - ) The novelty of the trip is that I write a blog about it. For the first time. It will be a fun challenge, because it is not a new perspective I have to go this time, so it will be interesting to see if I can convey the immediate enthusiasm by being over there on to you. I think it - it is, after all, my second home and a place that really means a lot to me. For the uninitiated, who has been shaken and baffled his head after reading the last two paragraphs, I just reveal what all this implied talk is about. Over the last 4 years I have been associated with a project on a small threatened ræveart living out on the prairie in the United States. It's called the swift fox. Swift because it is very quick (and cool). It looks like this:
The attentive reader will immediately notice the Reynard the Fox has a radio collar on. It is absolutely correct. The basis of the project are: a radiolabelled population on a piece of prairie land in northeastern Colorado. Nearest "city" is exotic Nunn, which is 90% left (there is, however, a post office?!?). population of california Nearest gas station is 50 miles away, and it takes an hour to get to the shops in universtitetsbyen Fort Collins. So if you forget to buy milk too bad. I will then just a map:
Well then, now that everyone is on where in the world we find ourselves, we can continue with what the project is all about. In all its simplicity is my / our ambition to use animal behavior as part of conservation strategies for endangered species. Our approach to this is that the more you know about animal behavior, the better you can understand their needs, and thus keep them in the best possible. My ultra-niche of this is personality in animals. I use a concept called "boldness", through which I estimate whether an individual is shy or bold. Indeed, this can be seen as an expression of personality, as this aspect is a common behavioral traits at the individual level. In short, they (the foxes and other animals) different, just as we are, and tackle situations in different and individual ways. This has an impact on many things, such as reproduction, survival, foraging, territory size, activity, etc., etc.. Why it's so damn important factor to know about. I have a "soft publication" that tells about the project at videnskab.dk should this be of interest: http://videnskab.dk/miljo-naturvidenskab/truede-species-must-survive-at-personality Oh but radio collar must of course population of california to the fact that I can find foxes again. So the first step in the process is to get caught them and put radio collars on them. You will need: a trap pegs, strips, frankfurter sausages, duct tape (you should always use duct tape), a thick canvas bag, a radio collar, a long stick and steady nerves. Then do the following: 1) You catch the fox:
Yes, it's not all that morning begins with a fox between the legs ... as they say. Foxes stunned not, they are small enough that you can handle them without the kind of aids. While you have the fox in hands, through a number of procedures that end up it gets its radio collar on. Need to make a behavioral assessment population of california of the fox during the handling, and it should be checked whether it is a boy or a girl, and it will age is determined from the decay (here comes the long stick used):
Yes, I am rabies vaccination. When the fox got its fine radio collars on (which only weighs 40 grams), it will be released again, and in the next few days I keep an eye on it, to be sure that the collar is securely:
The foxes have a few weeks to get used to their new collar before I start making the second population of california round of conduct measurements on them. It is a so-called novel object test in which a foreign object placed at the foxhole, and then one observes how to react to this. Take an orange bucket and place it in a foxhole:
It was shown how to set it:-) addition comes a lot with tracking to locate the fox ... ie me with a radio and a handheld antenna are wading prairie thin to identify their caves. The framework for this trip is as follows: I have to go for 6 weeks, departing on Monday. September population of california 24. The purpose of the trip is to get expanded my data set from the thesis, so we can get written and (hopefully) released a comprehensive scientific article population of california about the project. I will only make behavioral observations of foxes, ie those with the orange bucket. I r

No comments:

Post a Comment